[Live-devel] Getting server wallcock

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 3 00:01:49 PDT 2013

> I had been going under the assumption that I could interpret the presentation times in terms of the server's wallclock.  I just realized that, in fact, presentation time appears to have been converted to the client's local time

No.  The received frames' presentation times (once they've been RTCP-synchronized) are *server-generated* values - i.e., based on the server's clock.  If the server's clock is running 'fast' (or 'slow'), compared to the client's clock, then the presentation times will also run 'fast' (or 'slow') accordingly.  Also, the protocol does not tell you the *absolute* values of the (server-generated) presentation times.  A server's presentation times don't have to be synchronized using the Network Time Protocol, or anything else; they can start at any value.