[Live-devel] live555ProxyServer freezes after upgrading from 2012.12.24

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Apr 4 02:16:06 PDT 2013

> Unfortunately it appears to happen on all branded cameras I have to test: ACTi, Sony, Axis, D-Link, Vivotek and Lilin.

I find this very difficult to believe - especially considering that nobody else has reported this problem.

Nonetheless, because you provided definitive evidence of at least one buggy server, I've now installed a new version (2013.04.04) of the code that should avoid crashing this server.  The proxy code will now always sends "OPTIONS" - rather than "GET_PARAMETER" - as the 'liveness check' command, unless the server explicitly indicated (by a "Session:" header "timeout" parameter in the "SETUP" response) that it wants to receive periodic in-session "GET_PARAMETER" commands instead.  (Some servers have another bug whereby they don't use RTCP "RR" packets - from the client (or proxy) - to indicate client (or proxy) liveness.)

> It appears to be a very typical response to kill the connection when receiving a GET_PARAMETER during a playing stream on all major IP cameras - which as I understand is against the standard :(

Yes, but I still find it strange that nobody else has reported this.  (It would be nice to get independent confirmation of this from a professional user, and also have this bug reported to the camera manufacturer(s)!)