[Live-devel] Not receiving frames from H264 stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 5 16:35:24 PDT 2013

> I should have finished working through the advice in the FAQ - openRTSP successfully streamed from my cameras with the -t option, and setting the fourth argument of setupSubsession() to true fixed my problems.
>
> I also found that I did not need to specify the video resolution in order to get a proper stream, so I would still be interested in a response to my second question.

You asked:

> 2. Do I need to worry about the height and width parameters?  I'm guessing they're included in maybe the sprop-parameter string, and this doesn't apply to H264 streams (or at least this stream) since VLC doesn't need to ask me for the resolution.

That's correct.  If you're streaming H.264, then this information (height & width) is included in the "sprop-parameter-string" (formed by the stream's SPS and PPS NAL units), so receiving media players should not need it to be specified separately.  The same is true for most (but perhaps not all) other video codecs.

However, if you are trying to save an incoming stream into a ".mov" (or ".mp4") or ".avi" file, then the height and width parameters (and also frame-rate) can help.