[Live-devel] Need your professional opinion on upgrading our product to use your streaming technology

tboonefisher at clear.net tboonefisher at clear.net
Mon Apr 8 14:06:25 PDT 2013

Aren't such product(s) already available e.g. http://foscam.us/ and others?

Tom Fisher

From: Amir Guterman
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 2:29 PM
To: live-devel at ns.live555.com
Subject: [Live-devel] Need your professional opinion on upgrading our
product to use your streaming technology

Hi,

I would like to receive your professional opinion on upgrading the current
streaming technology that we use for our product today, by using your SDK's
and libraries for streaming to mobile devices.

Brief
We are developing a product that will require a low-latency live video
camera feed from home to a mobile device, in such way that the user will be
able to look at the product at any given time as long as the product is
located near a computer with a USB camera connected to it.

So that generally the customers who buy our product, will also receive a
software (for Mac or PC), that will stream their webcam or IP camera to
their phone or tablet over 3G or WiFi, we will also provide an app for each
mobile platform (Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8) that can play that stream.
The server side should allow only to 1 client to play the stream at a time
(encryption/authentication is an accepted solution for that matter)

Current technology in use
We are using Adobe Cirrus (aka Stratus) as the current technology for
transferring low-latency h.264 p2p live video streaming packed in RTMFP
protocol to mobile devices which support Adobe AIR such as Android
smartphones and tablets, iPhone and iPad.

This works perfectly, however, Adobe AIR platform is not supported on
Windows Phone 8.
We want to replace the Adobe technology, with any other solution that you
can offer me that supports the video formats and protocols that are
compatible with Android, iOS and WP8 enabled devices.

The modules that we need
The server-side software:
Purpose - To stream the video feed from a camera device (e.g connected USB
webcam or an IP camera on the local network), UI interface for changing the
captured device, and connect to a db on a public server to keep track of the
user's ip at home, so the mobile app will know where to connect.
On Mac: We use XCode to develop cocoa UI application, that will
interact/integrate with the modules that you'll provide me (hopefully) in
Objective-C.
On PC: We use Visual Studio .NET to develop the WinForm application, that
will also interact/integrate with the modules that you'll provide me in a
form of a API, SDK or even a command line utility (Java solution is also
welcome).

The client-side app (iPhone/iPad/Android phones & tablets/WP8):
Purpose - To play the live video stream which broadcasted from home over 3G
network as well as over WiFi.
For Android: We use Eclipse and the ADT SDK.
For iOS: We use XCode to develop the iPhone/iPad app.
For WP8: We use Visual Studio 2012 for Windows Phone.

* I assume that If we choose to work for example with H.264 or H.263 (3GPP,
MPEG-4) which is supported in most operating systems and mobile devices,
your solution will be to provide us with the SDK used for encoding and
streaming the live video (from webcam) as a part of the server-side
software, and we will use the core functions that come with each platform
SDK (Android/iOS/WP8) for decoding and playing the specified stream. (e.g
Android SDK has the VideoView class which is video player control that can
play RTSP,MPEG-2, H.263, H.264 streams from a remote url)

Best Regards,

--

Amir Guterman