[Live-devel] For raw H.264, live device source horribly ragged while byte stream file source beautiful

temp2010 at forren.org temp2010 at forren.org
Wed Feb 20 06:34:08 PST 2013

I have a MF_H264_DeviceSource derived from DeviceSource, being used
by H264VideoOnDemandServerMediaSubsession derived
from OnDemandServerMediaSubsession, from top level XXXOnDemandRTSPServer
derived from testOnDemandRTSPServer.

Viewing my output with VLC, the output is HORRIBLY RAGGED.

I took the same data being fed live to the MF_H264_DeviceSource and wrote
it out to a file test.h264 instead.

First, outside of Live555, I can convert my test.h264 to mp4 with a
separate utility, and it plays BEAUTIFUL in Windows Media Player.

Second, when I play my test.h264 through existing
Live555 ByteStreamFileSource, being used
by H264VideoFileServerMediaSubsession, from top level XXXOnDemandRTSPServer
derived from testOnDemandRTSPServer, it views BEAUTIFUL on VLC.

So it seems I must have some connectivity problem with my
MF_H264_DeviceSource substitute for ByteStreamFileSource.  But what?  It
mostly just passes frames through, so I doubt it's dropping them.  Is it
maybe a timestamp thing?  What else might it be?

Your advice is yet again greatly appreciated...