[Live-devel] Question on streams in Windows

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 28 18:14:36 PST 2013

> As far as Windows developers who use gmail...I can understand the anti-windows sentiment, but I don't know what you have against gmail...

This is explained clearly in the FAQ (that everyone was asked to read before posting to the mailing list :-)

> And I code in Windows because I'm paid too...and I know *exactly* how to do asynchronous, non-blocking file IO in windows.  Be careful with the word "impossible." ;-)

The issue with doing asynchronous file reading in Windows is that - in Windows - extra work needs to be done to handle the 'data is available on the open file' event.  In other OSs, open files are sockets that can be passed to "select()", as we do in the the implementation of "BasicTaskScheduler" (the "TaskScheduler" subclass that we provide with the supplied code).  In (at least some versions of) Windows, however, open files are not "select()"able sockets.  Therefore, to do asynchronous file reads in Windows, you would need to write your own subclass of "TaskScheduler" (that reimplements the "setBackgroundHandling()" virtual function).