[Live-devel] How to release frame; How to improve horrible video quality

temp2010 at forren.org temp2010 at forren.org
Fri Jan 4 04:49:55 PST 2013

Thanks very much for your help, Ross.

BACKGROUND: (CLARIFICATION ONLY) Indeed I only have one thread calling
doEventLoop().  That's all I meant by my penultimate background sentence.
 The last background sentence points out a separate thread for MF, that's
independent of Live555, and is in fact the thread taking advantage of the
one exception within Live555: calling triggerEvent().

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Having incorporated your question one answer, my output
is better and now only "very poor" rather than "horrible".  My uncompressed
stream is 640 x 480 x 30fps.  It passes through NV12 format, which when
considered as YUV I think has about 16 bits of info per pixel (8 bits for
Y, 8 bits for UV, like YUV422).  So an uncompressed 640 x 480 frame should
have nearly 5Mbits of info.  However, the compressed frames I'm sending to
Live555 are generally 160kbits each (after an initial 384kbit frame).   I
realize you're not responsible for MF, but perhaps you can give your
opinion, please. This suggests to me that my MF H.264 encoder is
compressing roughly 5Mbits/160kbits = 31 times.  Perhaps my remaining "very
poor" quality is because this is too much compression.  I reconfigured the
encoder for 10 times the average bit rate, but this typical 160kbits/frame
output size didn't really change.  DO YOU AGREE that I ought to be able to
increase encoder output quality by increasing average bit rate, and that
the 160kbits per compressed frame should rise toward 5Mbits?

Thanks again.