[Live-devel] How to release frame; How to improve horrible video quality

Renato MAURO (Libero) renatomauro at libero.it
Fri Jan 4 05:47:06 PST 2013

NV12 is similar to I420 (or YUV420, if you prefer), so it is 12 bit per
pixel, 8 for luminance and 4 for CrCb (or U and V if you prefer). See
http://www.fourcc.org/yuv.php#NV12.
Obviously, "4 bits for CrCb" means that each byte is used for 4 pixels
(a 2x2 quad), and so NV12 is a planar only format.

So: 640 x 480 x 1,5 = 450 kBi = 3.51 Mbi uncompressed => 3.51 Mbi / 160
kbi = 22,5 times.

I suggest to render the stream for the luminance plane only (like old TV
sets!!): if you get a good output, the problem is the way the renderer
works on the U and V plane.

Regards,

     Renato