[Live-devel] Windows make-files broken

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 4 13:00:12 PST 2013

> I noticed Makefile.tail has changed recently and it seems like the Windows compiler (VS2008 & 2010 at least) doesn't like these lines (only PREFIX for testProgs & mediaServer):
> PREFIX ?= /usr/local
> LIBDIR ?= $(PREFIX)/lib

Arggh!  Those lines were suggested by the Debian guy, who (I'm guessing) wanted to make it possible for PREFIX and/or LIBDIR to be defined as something else on the compile line.  I should have guessed that they would likely break in at least some versions of Windows.

What I'll do - in the next release - is change those lines to

PREFIX = /usr/local
LIBDIR = /usr/local/lib

but move them to the "Makefile.head" file (in each library directory), so that if anyone wants to redefine those constants, they can do so in their "config.<whatever>" file.

(Of course, those constants are actually used only for the "install" Makefile target, which is not intended for use in Windows anyway.)