[Live-devel] unicast onDemand from live source NAL Units NVidia

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 22 10:46:08 PST 2013

First, I assume that you have are feeding your input source object (i.e., the object that delivers H.264 NAL units) into a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" object (and from there to a "H264VideoRTPSink").

> I tried to set up in the Streamer code  enough size in the OutputPacketBuffer but this does not seem to work....
>   {
>        OutPacketBuffer::maxSize=10000000;

Setting "OutPacketBuffer::maxSize" to some value larger than the largest expected NAL unit is correct - and should work.  However, setting this value to 10 million is insane.  You can't possibly expect to be generating NAL units this large, can you??

If possible, you should configure your encoder to generate a sequence of NAL unit 'slices', rather than single large key-frame NAL units.  Streaming very large NAL units is a bad idea, because - although our code will fragment them correctly when they get packed into RTP packets - the loss of just one of these fragments will cause the whole NAL unit to get discarded by receivers.

Nonetheless, if you set "OutPacketBuffer::maxSize" to a value larger than the largest expected NAL unit, then this should work (i.e., you should find that "fMaxSize" will always be large enough for you to copy a whole NAL unit).