[Live-devel] ProxyRTSPClient::sendLivenessCommand Timeout

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 24 01:42:29 PST 2013

> I'm not sure if the assumption "if the back-end server fails, it will do so by closing the TCP connection" is strong enough. What i'm actually seeing is that sometimes the liveness is sent but no response is received, and the backend connection seems to be still alive because the proxy doesn't detect any closure, but the connection is not really working. This is a problem, because you can't stream the video throught this proxyRTSPClient anymore, so, i think that would be useful to have a timeout task to control how long should the proxy wait the liveness response in order to reset such connections.

Yes, I will probably make such a change sometime in the future.

You should note, though, that if a back-end server fails in this way (by not responding to RTSP commands at all, even though the TCP connection remains open), then chances are that any further connection attempt (from the proxy server) will also fail.  So you really can't expect a client to be able to receive the stream anymore.