[Live-devel] Multicast addresses for MPEG4 and H.264 streams

Piers Hawksley piers.hawksley at amgsystems.com
Thu Jul 25 08:23:03 PDT 2013

Can live555 stream H.264 or MPEG4 video to rtp://<multicast addr>:1234
without using RTSP to set-up the stream (e.g. the client might be on a
different subnet to the live555 server) ?

I am extending a program (a camera application running on Embedded Linux
and using live555 to serve the video streams) to add multicast streams.
Using rtsp://user:pass@<camera addr>:8554/streamname in VLC I can view
each multicast stream. Using rtp://<multicast addr>:<rtp port> I cannot
view a stream (even if another instance of VLC has already started that
stream on the same client PC). Is the password authentication causing a
problem ?

When I connect using RTSP each stream's ServerMediaSession reference
count (from sms->referenceCount(), where sms was created with
ServerMediaSession *sms = ServerMediaSession::createNew(...) )
increments with each new multicast connection. Is this a count of the
number of clients connected to the multicast stream ?

Best Regards,

Piers Hawksley