[Live-devel] MilestoneXProtect playing problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 11 12:49:46 PDT 2013

Has anyone tried contacting "Milestone" and asked them why their client doesn't send RTCP "RR" packets - as they are supposed to - which would also act as a keep-alive?  Or, alternatively, why it would not send (session-specific) "GET_PARAMETER" commands instead (which is what every other client who - for whatever reason - doesn't implement RTCP seems to do to indicate 'keep-alive')?  If you haven't contacted them, then why not?  If you are using their client application, then presumably you - or somebody you're associated with you - is a customer of theirs.  So, why contact only us, and not them?

I'm getting really tired of hearing about problems other companies' clients (or servers) only indirectly, via random third parties.  We have probably the most widely-deployed RTSP/RTP implementation in the world.  Why would "Milestone" (who I had never even heard of until a few days ago) not test their clients (and servers) against our code, and contact us when they found a problem?  Why have I never heard even a peep from anyone at "Milestone", and why is there nobody from "Milestone" among the almost 2000 people on this mailing list?

Nonetheless, because Chris Richardson's patch is so simple, I might add it to some future release of the LIVE555 software.  I'm in no hurry to do so, however; I'd prefer to hear at least something back from "Milestone" first.