[Live-devel] windows winsock error 10038

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 17 23:33:16 PDT 2013

> After a call to select () the invalid socket error occurs. It occurs in multiple-connected disabled client to the server, and the server will eventually fall. I know that you can override internalError () function, but it would still understand the cause of the error.

The problem is that you are closing a socket, but without turning off background checking on it - so the event loop ("select()") still erroneously thinks that the socket is in use.

To fix your problem, make sure that you disable background checking on each of your sockets - using "TaskScheduler::turnOffBackgroundReadHandling()" - before you close the socket.

(Note that this is already done in all places in our library code that create sockets - so the problem must be occurring somewhere in your application code.)