[Live-devel] unique source file format for rtspserver

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 4 09:50:46 PST 2013

> I want to build rtspserver for unique file format.

You can do this, but instead you should consider using a *standard* file format - not a file format that only you understand.  In particular, if you chose to use the "Matroska" file format, you would find that we already support streaming from this file format (including Matroska files that contain H.264 video and AAC audio).  Also, standard media player applications (such as VLC) would be able to play the file.

> Each file have recorded video streams (mpeg2 or h264 sometime with
> audio acc, raw frames with in, variable fps - usually 4-16 ) from
> multiple sources. It is in 5 minute chunks and chunks are located in
> separate dirs. Of course i know how to extract any data from that
> file.

The most important feature that you need in your file format - if you want to be able to stream from it properly - is the ability to generate an accurate 'presentation time' for each frame.  In particular, you would need a subclass of "FramedSource" (that you would write) - one for video; one for audio - that delivers one frame at a time from your input file(s), with each frame having an accurate 'presentation time'.  (This presentation time should be aligned with 'wall clock time' - the times that you would get by calling "gettimeofday()".

Then, you will need your own subclass of "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" for each codec that you wish to stream from your custom file format.  See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast

Unfortunately, because your input file format is something that only you plan to support, I don't have time on this mailing list to help you with the details of this.

See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#trick-mode

See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#threads !!!