[Live-devel] Access Violation in ReorderingPacetBuffer::freePacket

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Sun Mar 10 11:46:56 PDT 2013

I have a new source(new brand of camera) that is somehow causing my application to crash.  The crash is similar to one I had when I switched over to async interface in that I am seeing that an access violation occurs on an otherwise complete bPacket on the fBuf pointer that is the magic value 0xdddddddd  Which is an indicator that this memory has already been deleted.

It is allocated in the CTOR in the MultiFramedRtpSource (without check for failure)
fBuf(new unsigned char[MaxPacketSize])

The special value indicates to me this memory is deleted, not failed to allocate.

This happens after 30 min to an hour of failed connects and reconnects so I am thinking I am not handling something correctly and occasionally losing a race.
I need this code to be robust. It is ok if this camera fails, but it needs to not crash the app. (I cannot "catch" and access violation :))

My live555 code is from 2012.2.29
Kinda Old, could that be the problem? Should I start with upgrading live555? Do we know if there has been changes in this area?

Or...

Can someone suggest how to debug this. I am looking with memory tools and of course, it hasn't failed when run inside the tool yet.
My code is very much like the openRTSP example. It appears as if the command to get OPTIONS does not return a value but the event loop is started already and the teardown tries to delete the buffer that never got any data.

   Jeff Shanab, Manager-Software Engineering
   D 630.633.4515 | C 630.453.7764 | F 630.633.4815 | jshanab at smartwire.com<mailto:jshanab at smartwire.com>
[MVSSig]

This message and any attachments contain confidential and proprietary information, and may contain privileged information, belonging to one or more affiliates of Windy City Wire Cable & Technology Products, LLC. No privilege is waived by this transmission. Unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of such information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it from your system, destroy any printouts or copies of it, and notify the sender immediately by e-mail or phone.