[Live-devel] Access violation in ReorderingpacketBuffer::freepacket

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 12 12:54:37 PDT 2013

> Thanks. I have gotten it to crash 4 or 5 times now and in all cases the Packet is in varying states of destruction. The previous observation about max packet size was not repeatable.  This points to a race condition.

Note that a 'race condition' is unlikely, because each "TaskScheduler" runs a single-threaded event loop.  Essentially, the RTP receiving code is just a loop:
	while (1) {
		read a packet from the network;
		process the packet;
	}
Also, in a properly designed application, each event loop thread (if there's more than one) never accesses a LIVE555 object that's used by another thread.

But, because we (obviously) don't know how your application code works, we're probably not going to be able to help you if you can't repeat the problem using our simple "testRTSPClient" demo application.

>  I will let you know if I find anything profound.

Please replace "if" with "if and only if" :-)