[Live-devel] H264 dropped P frames

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 2 14:04:08 PDT 2013

> Could it be that the packets are incorrect and live555 cannot find the beginning and end, so it doesn’t clear out the buffer? Then it hits the max, dumps it and starts over.

No, but note that if - as with all payload formats - if one frame (in this case, one H.264 NAL unit) is fragmented over multiple RTP packets, then if any one of these RTP packets gets lost, then the entire NAL unit will get discarded.  That's why - yet again - H.264 encoders should not create excessively large NAL units.

In any case, everyone (and especially you :-) needs to read and understand this sentence that's at the end of the FAQ entry:

	It's important to understand that because a LIVE555 Streaming Media application runs as a single thread (never writing to, or reading from, sockets concurrently), if packet loss occurs, then it MUST be happening either (i) on the network, or (ii) in the operating system of the sender or receiver. There's nothing in our code that can be 'losing' packets.