[Live-devel] Streaming H.264 Movie via RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 16 07:08:43 PDT 2013

> When I run the testOnDemandRTSPServer and run the play RTSP url of the H.264 video in vlc 2.0.5 it works just fine (unsurprisingly). But for my application I need to use RTP, not RTSP.
> What do I need to do in order for the live to stream RTP?

You are streaming "RTP" no matter what.  "RTSP" is just the control protocol that's used to set up the parameters for the RTP stream.  If you are streaming via RTP unicast - as you are doing - then you will need a RTSP server (embedded in your transmitting application) to control it.  This is easy to do, however - you can just use "testOnDemandRTSPServer" as a model, and just use the handful of lines of code that set up the "h264ESVideoTest" stream.

(If you are streaming via RTP *multicast*, then you *may* omit using RTSP as a control protocol, and instead pass just a SDP description to each of your receiving multicast client players.  I don't recommend this, though, especially for streaming H.264 video, because the SDP description contains a configuration parameter that depends on the particular characteristic of the H.264 stream.  It's better to just use our RTSP server code to figure out this parameter automatically.)