[Live-devel] newbie: several questions about openrtsp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 17 22:22:57 PDT 2013

> I'm running centos 5 server - command line only
> hi all, newbie here, firstly to my surprise openRTSP actually worked without too much hassle but did throw up a couple of problems.

First, you should make sure that you have the latest version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code:
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#latest-version

> This is the command that works with my axis 207MW network camera:
> openRTSP -d 20 rtsp://<user:password>@<cam-ip-afddr>/mpeg4/media.amp
> The 20-second video file created has no extension but I can get the file to play by copying it to another location and adding .mp4 to the copy.

The video file is a 'raw' (elementary stream) video file, and therefore is *not* a 'mp4'-format file - so you're lucky that you were able to play the file by adding '.mp4' to the filename :-)

> However if I use -4 in the command the program throws back "mdatFloating point exception" and terminates.

Unfortunately unless you can find a way for us to reproduce this ourselves, you're going to track down this problem yourself.

> I did the google on this but there are no clear answers. If I add -i the program does create an avi but the resultant file crashes all my players.

This, then is apparently a bug in these media player applications, so you'd need to report this to the organizations that develop those applications.

>  Am I missing some component?

No.

> Also the audio file is silent. I don't know what kind of audio file rtsp is generating because the filename has no extension

The audio file (like the video file) will be a 'raw' (elementary stream) file, so it's not surprising that media players can't handle it.  You can deduce the type of audio from the file name (whatever it is; you didn't say).