[Live-devel] VLC and The LIVE555 Proxy Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 14 09:04:27 PST 2013

> When I try to restream, rtsp stream from VLC, I get these messages on LIVE555 Proxy Server:
>
> ProxyRTSPClient["rtsp://XXX"]: RTSP "DESCRIBE" command failed; trying again in 1 seconds
> Opening connection to YYY, port ZZZ...
> ...Connection to server failed: Connection timed out
[...]
> Also I confirmed streaming from VLC with VLC on the other pc and it was working fine, I could see the stream.
>
> VLCs and LIVE555 Proxy Server are in the same VLAN so there is no problem with firewall or filtering (I disabled firewall on all server and pc).

Sorry, but I can't explain this.  VLC (when used as a RTSP client) uses our RTSP client implementation - as does the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" - so I don't understand why the proxy server would be failing to connect to the 'back-end' server, but VLC succeeds.

What happens when you try connecting to the stream using our "testRTSPClient" or "openRTSP" demo applications?