[Live-devel] VLC and The LIVE555 Proxy Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 15 04:19:52 PST 2013

> Comments are in line.

OK, but you didn't trim the (large!) parts of the email digest that weren't appropriate!  And you didn't fix the "Subject:" line in your response (I fixed it for you).

(Because of this, future postings from you will be moderated.)

Please everybody, use common sense when replying to email digests.

>> What happens when you try connecting to the stream using our
>> "testRTSPClient" or "openRTSP" demo applications?
> [OM] Here are the outputs:
> ./testRTSPClient rtsp://X:Y/stream
> Opening connection to X, port Y...
> ...Connection to server failed: Connection timed out
> [URL:"rtsp://X:Y/stream"]: Failed to get a SDP description: Connection to
> server failed: Connection timed out
> [URL:"rtsp://X:Y/stream"]: Closing the stream.
>
> ./openRTSP rtsp://X:Y/stream
> Opening connection to X, port Y...
> ...Connection to server failed: Connection timed out
> Opening connection to X, port Y...
> ...Connection to server failed: Connection timed out
> Failed to get a SDP description for the URL "rtsp://X:Y/stream": Connection
> to server failed: Connection timed out
>
> X is beck-end server IP address, Y port. I am using VLC 2.0.8 as backend
> server.

For some reason, the back-end server is not handling incoming connections on port 'Y'.  Unfortunately we can't help you figure out why (because VLC is not our software, and it doesn't use our library when implementing a RTSP server).  If you're sure that the server address and port number are correct, then I suggest asking a VLC mailing list for help.