[Live-devel] Coping with a buggy IP camera

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Sat Nov 16 04:57:51 PST 2013

Hi folks,

I recently picked up a Foscam FI9821W V2 and upgraded it to the current
v1.11.1.18 firmware, and I'm still having difficulty streaming from it with
any open source tools. (For example, VLC plays it, but has a lot of errors,
visible corruption, and high latency.)

In my extensive searching, I found this thread where Ross points out that
the camera's RTSP server is broken:
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-April/016863.html (I
also came across a mini-rant from Ross about the firmware devs' lack of
interest in participating or getting support here, with which I agree...)

I know a true workaround is impossible, but if I wanted to get really dirty
and hack up the client code with hard-coded video params, would I be able
to make the stream play correctly? Has anyone tried this? Or anyone know
what changes I'd need to make?

Background: I'm interested in playing with computer vision using this
camera, and step one is getting live555 to cleanly decode the H.264
frames... If I can't actually decode this camera's video, then it was
basically a waste of money. :(

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike