[Live-devel] Implement a real time app using live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Nov 26 13:34:10 PST 2013

> Hi , I want to implement a real time application which server streams it's music to clients , and clients should play this stream exactly simultaneously.After a lot of search , I found live555 for my purpose.After some experience with it , I finally figured out that I can use from testMP3Streamer as my server and testMP3Receiver or testRTSPClient as my client. But the clients just output the stream to the STDOUT or to my custom file and they don't play it.

The data output  - to 'stdout' - consists of encoded MP3 audio frames (because that's what was transmitted (inside RTP packets) by the server).  To 'play' this data, you need to feed it into a decoder (which we don't supply).  That's what media players (such as VLC, Winamp, etc.) do.

Right now, you can't.  There has been recent work in the IETF to make this possible (see <https://ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-idms/?include_text=1>), but we don't currently support this.