[Live-devel] Modifications to the RTSP "REGISTER" command and API

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 18 03:03:30 PDT 2013

FYI, I have just submitted to the IETF a new Internet-Draft document that describes our new custom "REGISTER" RTSP command (that we use in our proxy server implementation).  You can find a copy online at
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-finlayson-rtsp-register-command-00

I have also released a new version (2013.10.18) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code that changes the implementation to conform to this document.  In particular:
- There are no longer separate "REGISTER" and "REGISTER_REMOTE" commands.  Now, there's only "REGISTER".  An optional Boolean parameter "reuse_connection" - in the RTSP "Transport:" header - can be used to specify whether the recipient should reuse the TCP connection.
- There is a new optional parameter "proxy_url_suffix" (again, in the RTSP "Transport:" header) that can be used to specify the URL suffix that the receiving proxy server should use to advertise the proxied stream.

If you are "REGISTER"ing one of your "RTSPServer"s own streams (e.g., with a proxy server), then note that the "RTSPServer::registerStream()" API has changed.

If you are using a 3rd-party application to construct and send "REGISTER" commands - as Bob Bischan is doing - then note that
- The command to send is now "REGISTER", not "REGISTER_REMOTE", and
- There are optional parameters that you can specify in a RTSP "Transport:" header.