[Live-devel] MPEG4 streaming using ffmpeg as encoder

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 18 16:48:26 PDT 2013

> Thanks for the input and i rellay appreciate your help. If i subclass ServerMediaSubsession than I need to implement other functions too. Is there a another class which will do most for me. I noticed that OnDemandMediaSubsession is being used for some subsession implementation but is it only for unicast or can i use it for multicast too. I am little confused as for what the ondemand media subsession is used.

Yes, for streaming via unicast, you should subclass "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession", and implement the virtual functions "createNewStreamSource()",  "createNewRTPSink()", and also (because MPEG-4 is a codec that uses special 'configuration' data) "getAuxSDPLine()".  Also, in your subclass's constructor, when it calls the "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" constructor, be sure to set the "reuseFirstSource" parameter to True (because you're streaming from a live source, rather than from a file).  See also
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast

If instead you want to stream via multicast, then use the "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" code as a model, and see
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput