[Live-devel] MPEG4 streaming using ffmpeg as encoder

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 18 18:56:21 PDT 2013

> I tried the unicast server based on onDemand sample but my function "getAuxSDPLine()" never returns. When i debugged i found that function "checkForAuxSDPLine1()" calls the function "fDummyRTPSink->auxSDPLine()" which is the function implemented in MPEG4RTPSink which in turn tried to get the pointer to MPEG4VideoStreamFramer which seems wrong as I put the MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer as input to RTPSink. Am i doing anything wrong or is it suppose to be like that. It never gets the data required from Framer so it is stuck checking that.

Yes, and that's your problem.  Note "MPEG4ESVideoRTPSink.cpp", lines 113 and 116.  Either the call to
	framerSource->profile_and_level_indication()
is returning 0, or the call to
	framerSource->getConfigBytes(configLength)
is returning NULL.  This means that your "MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" object (which, BTW, is a subclass of "MPEG4VideoStreamFramer") *did not* receive correct configuration data.  In particular, it shows that the code in "MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer.cpp" from lines 74-94 is not getting executed, despite the fact that you say that you're feeding a chunk of configuration data - beginning with 0xB0 - to your "MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" as the first frame of data.  So you need to figure out why that's not working.

> Also another question if i need to implement multicast I dont need to subclass Subsession and implement 3 virtual functions. Is my understanding correct?

Yes.  However, you'd still need to have proper configuration data being fed to your "MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" object (i.e., the same problem you're having with unicast), otherwise your RTSP server still would not be able to produce a correct SDP description for the stream (and no decoder would ever be able to decode it).