[Live-devel] How to tie libvpx together with live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 21 01:55:32 PDT 2013

> I'm currently in a project where I'm trying to tie together live555 and libvpx for a live stream.
> I am however a little confused about how exactly to proceed.
> I have looked at the testOnDemandRTSPServer which uses the MatroskaFileServerDemux, which I've used for the general outline

Because you're streaming from a video-only source, rather than from a video+audio file, it would be better to use the "H.264" code (i.e., on lines 89-101 of "testOnDemandRTSPServer") as a model.

See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast

> As far as I have understood I'm supposed to create a new class describing the subsession inheriting from the OnDemandServerMediaSubsession class.
> In this class I shall then implement a new method createNewRTPSink, which instantiates and returns a VP8VideoRTPSink.

Yes, but you *also* need to implement another virtual function - "createNewStreamSource()".  This will create an object of a new "FramedSource" subclass (that you must define) that delivers VP8 frames - one at a time.  As noted in the FAQ, it is recommended that you use the "DeviceSource" code (see "liveMedia/DeviceSource.cpp") as a model for this.