[Live-devel] Proxy Server (Multiple Client / Recorded File Issue)

Bob Bischan bbischan at watchtower-security.com
Tue Oct 22 10:43:38 PDT 2013

When running Proxy Server in a multiple client configuration there appears
to be an obscure problem (html5: media error) with recording h264/mp4 files.

If I run a single recording application (VLC VLM based) pulling streams
from Proxy Server I do not encounter this error. Files work just fine on
desktop (VLC,Mplayer, Quicktime..etc) and in html5 video tag.

When a second application (crtmpserver / Flash server) is run
simultaneously pulling the same streams from Proxy Server, the h264/mp4
recordings from the VLC/VLM based recording no longer validate as html5
video. This observation also appears to depend on OS / Browser type and
version??? The one consistent variable has been...If one client is
connected to Proxy Server the problem goes away.  Debugging of the files
has been difficult as they will always play in desktop client, but I did
find the following info in chrome debug:

MEDIA_ERR_ABORTED: 1
MEDIA_ERR_DECODE: 3
MEDIA_ERR_ENCRYPTED: 5
MEDIA_ERR_NETWORK: 2
MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED: 4

Despite this issue, Proxy Server is working well with both
applications...with no errors or other performance issues.

Live555 version: 2013.10.18

I'm at a loss to explain this issue. Below is a link to sample files should
anyone have time to take a look :-)

http://184.175.65.70/temp/

html5_bad.mp4
html5_ok.mp4