[Live-devel] Proxy Server (Multiple Client / Recorded File Issue)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Oct 23 23:36:23 PDT 2013

> 2. Registered the single back-end server (works as expected; using new transport header options) . BTW, the option for setting suffix is a nice additon!

FYI, you can now use our new application "registerRTSPStream" (in the "testProgs" directory) for this.

> 3. Connected a single client (VLC) to record the proxy stream to file. (Connects fine and I see debug output recording the connection)
>
> 4. Connect another client (VLC) to proxy stream to record a second file. (Connects fine, but I do not see any debug output showing this connection???)

That's normal, and expected.  What's important to understand is that the diagnostic output generated by the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" (when you give it the "-V" option) is only for the proxying functionality (between the proxy server and the back-end server).  Proxying starts (by sending "SETUP" and "PLAY" commands) once the first front-end client connects, and stops (by sending a "PAUSE" command) once the last front-end client disconnects.  During that time, the proxy server will continue to serve an arbitrary number of connecting/disconnecting front-end clients, but won't have any effect on the connection between the proxy server and the back-end server - until the last front-end client disconnects.  That's why you don't see any additional diagnostic output when the second front-end client connects - but data will still be streamed to that front-end client, as expected.

> I have attached a debug file that reflects steps (1-6). If you could take a quick look to see if there something obvious that would be great.

Your file looks OK; the proxy server appears to be working normally.

Once again, what I suspect is happening is that when you have N>1 front-end clients, you are experiencing some packet loss (because, in this case, each outgoing RTP packet from the proxy server is being transmitted N separate times (once to each front-end client)).  And apparently your stream recording software is not tolerant of data loss.  You can verify this by instead running "openRTSP" with the "-Q" (report QOS) option as your front-end clients.