[Live-devel] RTSP Interleaved Streams

Bob Bischan bbischan at watchtower-security.com
Wed Oct 30 18:37:27 PDT 2013

Piers,

I have not yet found a way to get VLC to request RTSP interleaved data, so
I am limited in how to test this at present.

VLC does support RTSP-over-TCP. This option may be configured from the GUI
or from VLC config file.

GUI:

Tools > Preferences > Input/Codecs > Demuxers > RTP/RTSP > Use RTP over
RTSP (TCP)

Config File (Linux):

~/.config/VLC/vlcrc

# Use RTP over RTSP (TCP) (boolean)
rtsp-tcp=1

On windows you might have to search around for this file.

Frame 177 has a block of 112 bytes on the end which does not appear to be
valid data.

I believe this might be related to VLC sending GET_PARAMETER requests for
keep-alive. live555 appears to have data in the body of the response
(LIVEMEDIA_LIBRARY_VERSION_STRING). If you run VLC from cli like this:

 cvlc -vvv rtsp://some-ip:port/somestream --sout=file/mp4:file.mp4

Do you see this or something similar?

Have received 112 total bytes of a GET_PARAMETER RTSP response; awaiting 2
bytes more.

I'm not sure if this is significant or not? Thought it might be helpful to
pass on my observation.

I wish VLC would get up to date with the live555 code base!

Bob

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Piers Hawksley <
piers.hawksley at panogenics.com> wrote:

> Hi Ross,
>
> One of our customers is trying to get RTSP interleaved streams from our
> live555 server. I have posted the 178KB Wireshark trace online at
> http://www.hawksley42.co.uk/**amg-dump.pcapng<http://www.hawksley42.co.uk/amg-dump.pcapng>
> .
>
> Frame 177 has a block of 112 bytes on the end which does not appear to be
> valid data.
>
> Do I need to change how I set up the unicast OnDemandServerMediaSubsession
> if the client may request interleaved streams ?
>
> Can you suggest what I may try to test this further ? I have not yet found
> a way to get VLC to request RTSP interleaved data, so I am limited in how
> to test this at present.
>
> The version of Live555 that is in use is not up-to-date as our customer is
> using an old version of our software. We try very hard to release the most
> recent version of live 555.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Piers Hawksley

Bob Bischan

Manager (Operations/Software Development)

*WATCHTOWER SECURITY, INC.*

2418 Northline Industrial Drive
Maryland Heights, MISSOURI 63043

314 427 4586 office

314 330 9001 cell

314 427 8823 fax

www.watchtower-security.com

*“Protecting your community and those you value most.”*