[Live-devel] Get MPEG-TS timing from .tsx file?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Sep 20 06:57:04 PDT 2013

On 9/20/2013 00:42, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> Anyway, what I didn't make sufficiently clear in my January 2011 email
> was that when I ran my experiment, altering our server code (along with
> the index file format) to stream TS files using precise (rather than
> predicted) inter-Transport-Packet durations, it HAD NO EFFECT on the way
> that VLC (as the RTSP media player client) displayed a VBR TS stream.

Do you still have that code sitting around?  Even if it's in patch form
that no longer applies cleanly, I'd be willing to take a crack at
re-applying it and playing with it.  It may be that it's close to
working, and could be fixed.

For example, your January 2011 post talks about using a weighted
[moving?] average.  It may be that switching to a PID controller would
give better results:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Control theory is a surprisingly subtle subject.