[Live-devel] RTSP over TCP HD frame size

Francisco Feijoo francisco at eyelynx.com
Mon Sep 30 00:44:09 PDT 2013

Hello Ross,

I want to stream over TCP different streams that have been recorder from
different cameras with live555 RTSP Server. Some are HD (H264 and MJPEG)
and the frame size can be quite big (250 kb or more). If I stream over UDP
all is working perfectly.

I need to connect from the Internet so in that case the RTSP client
connects using TCP. If the frame size is small, it works, but if it's big I
receive incorrect frames. When I display them, they show only half of the
frame and sometimes I receive the error:

RTCPInstance error: Hit limit when reading incoming packet over TCP.
> Increase "maxRTCPPacketSize"

I have tried to increase that value (for the client) but the problem
persists. Also after changing that value sometimes I see the error:

MultiFramedRTPSource error: Hit limit when reading incoming packet over
> TCP. Increase MAX_PACKET_SIZE

Looking at openRTSP I have also increased the receive buffer size with
setReceiveBufferTo
to 2Mb without any difference.

The server is not reporting any error.

I have tried to connect over TCP locally and I have the same problem so
although the bandwith over Internet is not enough the problem is there with
a fast connection.

One thing I noticed is that when I stream a small resolution stream the
fFrameSize in the server is exactly the same value as the size of the
received that in the client sink (afterGettingFrame). But when the
resolution increases I see that fFrameSize is smaller than what the client
is receiving.

Is there something I can do to fix this without modifying live555? Should
this be a problem with the client or the server? Is there any "verbose"
mode in live555 so I can see where could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.
--
Francisco Feijoo
Software Engineer