[Live-devel] VLC RTSP Server and live555 testRTSPClient app

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Apr 3 21:09:23 PDT 2014

The problem here is that VLC - when run as a RTSP server - is not standards compliant.  It should be listening to incoming RTCP "RR" packets from the client, and using them to tell it that the client is still alive.  (Note that VLC's RTSP server implementation - unlike its RTSP client implementation - does not use our software.)

VLC - when run as a client - works around this bug by explicitly sending a 'dummy' RTSP command ("GET_PARAMETER", I think) periodically.  But it shouldn't have to, because RTCP "RR" packets (which all compliant RTSP/RTP clients are required to send) should be enough.  Please tell the developers of VLC to fix this bug.

Alternatively, use some other RTSP server (such as ours), instead of VLC.