[Live-devel] VLC RTSP Server and live555 testRTSPClient app

Andrey Shvyrkin ashvyrkin at gosniias.ru
Thu Apr 3 23:00:35 PDT 2014

04.04.2014 8:09, Ross Finlayson ?????:
> The problem here is that VLC - when run as a RTSP server - is not
> standards compliant.  It should be listening to incoming RTCP "RR"
> packets from the client, and using them to tell it that the client is
> still alive.  (Note that VLC's RTSP server implementation - unlike its
> RTSP client implementation - does not use our software.)
>
> VLC - when run as a client - works around this bug by explicitly
> sending a 'dummy' RTSP command ("GET_PARAMETER", I think)
> periodically.  But it shouldn't have to, because RTCP "RR" packets
> (which all compliant RTSP/RTP clients are required to send) should be
> enough.  Please tell the developers of VLC to fix this bug.
>
> Alternatively, use some other RTSP server (such as ours), instead of VLC.
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

I modified "testRTSPClient" code and sent GET_PARAMETER command every 30
seconds, but VLC respond error.

[URL:"rtsp://192.168.33.77:8554/media0"]: Started playing session...
Sending request: GET_PARAMETER rtsp://192.168.33.77:8554/media0 RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 5

Received 138 new bytes of response data.
Received a complete GET_PARAMETER response:
RTSP/1.0 451 Client error
Server: VLC/2.1.3
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 05:55:04 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache