[Live-devel] Regarding trick mode files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 23 08:32:22 PDT 2014

> If we Must encrypt the transport stream then what parts of the stream should we leave it in the clear? Should we specifically leave the I-frames?

The Transport Stream fields (including the PCR and PID) at the start of each 188-byte Transport Stream 'packet' must all remain unencrypted.  Also, the entire contents of Transport Stream PAT and PMT 'packets' must remain unencrypted.

Also, the start of video I-frames - including at least the MPEG 'system code' (or 'nal_unit_type' for H.264/H.265) - must remain unencrypted.