[Live-devel] Stream h264 - bitrate's effect on latency

Mark Theunissen mark.theunissen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 04:02:25 PDT 2014

I have three Raspi cameras pushing out h264 elementary streams, which I'm
reading from stdin and sending out using live555's RTSP server. All works
great.

The only problem is that the three camera feeds can sometimes have
different bitrates depending on what they're looking at - I want them
syncronized. It seems that the cameras with the higher bitrates are closer
to real-time, and the lower bitrates lag more. I expect this is because
there is some fixed-size buffer somewhere, and the higher the bitrate, the
faster the buffer is filled and the more realtime the stream is.

If I manually limit the bitrate so that all cameras are the same, they
syncronize perfectly.

However, I'd like to rather allow them to have different bitrates, but
still be syncronized.

Can anyone help with this? Is there a setting in live555 somewhere? Perhaps
variable buffer size or rather, no buffer so that video is sent ASAP?
Gstreamer manages extremely low latency, but uses too much CPU for my
application.

I'm just using the test app modified to read from stdin.

Thanks
Mark