[Live-devel] RTP H.264 stream freezing on first frame using wis-streamer and VLC player

Eli eli.b at BDRGroup.com
Thu Feb 13 06:13:45 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

I have encountered a strange problem while playing an RTP H.264 stream using VLC player.

I am developing firmware for an IP camera designed to be used with specialized software (control client).
By default, the camera's RTSP streamer (based on wis-streamer with a custom video source) had a bug where in each GOP, the SPS, PPS, SEI and IDR-frame were all grouped, and the stream simply consisted of an SPS NAL unit, followed by several P-slices. The PPS, SEI, and IDR-frame were all hidden inside the payload of the SPS packet. This caused the target software to be unable to play the stream, yet VLC player worked just fine.

After fixing the video source and properly splitting the various NAL units, the stream works properly on the target client, but now it works only partially with VLC - sometimes it works well, other times it freezes after showing 1-2 frames. Looking at the wireshark capture, the stream now looks like a proper H.264 stream: SPS, PPS, SEI, IDR, P-Slice, P-Slice, P-Slice...
I've uploaded wireshark logs and VLC logs for both scenarios (old stream, new stream):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk4m04toudijb82/new.log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyg39osmhqi7p1r/New.pcapng

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewank7m3itt8jcr/old.log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk08a4nq8cuog76/Old.pcapng

I've posted this question to the VLC support boards and was advised it might be a live555 problem and that I should ask about it over here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.