[Live-devel] RTP H.264 stream freezing on first frame using wis-streamer and VLC player

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 13 07:43:07 PST 2014

Sorry, but we can't help you with 'decoding'/'freezing' problems with VLC, because VLC is not our software.  (We provide only the implementation of the RTSP client protocol that VLC uses.)

I suggest instead that you start by using our "openRTSP" client application <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> to receive your stream (it will write the received H.264 video data into a file).  Then, rename this file to have a ".h264" filename suffix, and try playing this file with VLC.

If VLC has the same 'decoding'/'freezing' problems when it plays the received file, then the problem must be with your encoder and/or VLC; it has nothing to do with us.

If, however, VLC plays the received file OK, then there might, conceivably, be some problem with the 'presentation times' that your server gives to each NAL unit that it sends.  You could test this by running our "testRTSPClient" demo application.