[Live-devel] Support for VP8 packetization

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 19 03:48:26 PST 2014

> Yes I was referring to the packing of VP8 payloads as done in the referenced draft. If that is already implemented and used automatically the problem must lie elsewhere as I am using the VP8VideoRTPSink class as you are referring to.
> As I understand the payload packing it should split the frames on image block boundaries and therefore a failed packet should only result in that block failing.

No, not in our implementation.  If a frame is fragmented over multiple RTP packets, then the loss of *any* of these packets will cause the whole frame to be discarded by the receiver.

The VP8 RTP payload format specification does, however, allow for VP8 frames to be split on 'partition' boundaries when packed into RTP packets, in such a way that a receiver *could*, conceivably, receive just some partitions of a VP8 frame if packets are lost.  We don't implement this, however (because we don't parse VP8 frames at all, and therefore can't know where 'partitions' start and end within frames).  (In any case, this would be useful only if your decoder were able to handle incomplete frames (consisting of some, but not all, 'partitions').)