[Live-devel] testRTSPClient - can't find a port not in use

Rob Coker rcoker at pythagdev.com
Thu Feb 27 10:30:37 PST 2014

I am using the testRTSPClient and I am having some trouble with the bind()
call in GroupsockHelper.cpp::setupDatagramSocket() on both Linux and QNX
OSes using a Sabrelite board (uses iMx6 quad-core ARM processor).  It is
frequently trying all the ports and not being able to bind to any of the odd
ports.  I haven't checked Linux, but in QNX I get back the Address already
in use error.  Netstat doesn't show the ports being used prior to me running
testRTSPClient, though.

On QNX, it will frequently work for the first subsession of a session after
boot.  The 2nd subsession usually doesn't, but I've seen both subsessions
work at least once.  It's difficult to determine much rhyme or reason.

I noticed that the code that calls setupDatagramSocket is trying to find
sequential port numbers (even for RTP, following odd for RTSP).  The trouble
seems to be with the RTSP ports.  I don't understand the code well enough to
know whether these port numbers have to be sequential because I seem to get
the even ports with no problem.  Perhaps something is different about the
way the socket is set up for RTSP?

Thanks,

Rob