[Live-devel] derived RTSPServer class - get RTSPClientSession by SessionId

Thomas Göllner goelli at goelli.de
Thu Jan 2 02:00:47 PST 2014

> It's unusual for a "DESCRIBE" request to contain a "Session:" header.  I think it's allowed in the protocol, but our RTSP client implementation does not support it.  (So, if you wanted to do this, for your client(s) you'd either need someone else's RTSP client implementation, or else hack ours :-(
>
> So, I'm curious, why do you want to do this?  I.e., why do you want the SDP description resulting from the "DESCRIBE" command to depend upon the particular (already existing) session in which the command was sent, rather than simply upon the object that's being described?
>
> Are you sure that you can't do what you want using the existing "SET_PARAMETER" and/or "GET_PARAMETER" commands (which are already supported by both our server *and* client implementations)?
>
> Generally speaking, "special protocols" are a bad idea, if there are existing (and standardized!) protocols that do the same thing...

Hi Ross,
thanks for your quick reply.

I did not want to mention this, but exchange "SpecialProtocol" with SAT>IP and you have your answer. There are many clients for this protocol so I have to make a Server that speeks their language.

I saw in the code that DESCRIBE with sessionID is not supported but some clients rely on that.
Even some clients make the channel-changing only in play commands. So I have to change the stream during a session which is also not supported by the library. That's another point, I'm stuck at the moment. I don't know how to stop playing a RTSP unicast during PLAY command. But I'm still searching...
Another thing on the horizon is playing only specific PID from a TS. I hope at this point the MPEG Demux and Mux Classes will help. But perhaps I have to start a new topic when I am on that point.

I have to do this that way because of GLGPL. The code I write unfortunatly has to be closed-source by now. So I have to derive classes.
It would be an easy way if I just copy most of the code of the handle-Functions, but I don't think that this would be reconcilable with the license.

I will have a second look on SET/GET Parameter commands. But I know the clients don't use it.

Best regards,
Thomas