[Live-devel] Memoryleak only when connecting memory tool

Jeff Shanab jshanab at jfs-tech.com
Sun Jan 26 04:49:20 PST 2014

   I have a strange problem showing up while trying to solve a memory leak
elsewhere in my code. When I attach a memory tool it somehow messes timing
or something and live555 begins to create BufferPacket structures of 68
bytes with a payload of 10K.  Somehow they are not released so the code to
get a free one ends up allocating a new one.  (Reorder buffer in
multiframedrtpsource)

   If I let the app run for over a day a slow growth of memory usage
occurs. This is what I am trying to solve. When I connect the Memory Tool,
there are no BufferPackets at all. After a few hours, there are a few
hundred or a few thousand based on how many streams are connected.  We
quickly get into over a gigabyte memory usage on a 32 bit process and it
gets worse from there.

These are a live-leak or memory growth issue not a dead-leak. Running
valgrind or IPP memory leak tools do not show a leak.
The original leak problem is identical on linux and windows.
The version of live555 is not current, but i have been given reasons we
cannot update at the moment. However, if this rings any bells and points to
a specific fix in newer code, I can patch or at least prove the need to
update!)

We have two versions of the code, one with the problem and one without.
Swapping in the live555.dll from the version that does not show the issue
into the version that does, does not solve the original problem. But the
issue of BufferPacket growth when connecting the memory tool is hampering
our efforts to find the real leak.  The memory tool in question only runs
in windows.