[Live-devel] decoupling MediaSubSession from RTP stack

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 30 10:49:11 PST 2014

> First of all I would like to program an RTSPClient that only handles RTSP session, just the sesion negotiation and session keep alive. In our application we are already capable to manage incomping RTP flows, we just need an RTSP manager to interact with our RTP manager. On server side we already successfully achieved it implementing our ServerMediaSubsession class. We would like to achieve the same on the client side.

Yes, you can do this.  I suggest looking at how our "openRTSP" client application implements the "-r" option, which tells the command to start playing the stream (using RTSP), but not actually receive it.  See
	http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/#no-receive

You should be able to use "openRTSP" (with the "-r" option, and also "-p <port-number>", if the stream is unicast) to demonstrate streaming to your application using RTSP only, not RTP/RTCP.

The secret is to *not* call "initiate()" on each of your "MediaSubsession" objects; that function is (normally) used to create "RTPSource" and "RTCPInstance" objects for receiving the RTP/RTCP packets.

And obviously, you won't want to create any "MediaSink" objects (e.g., "DummySink" in the "testRTSPClient" code), and not call "startPlaying()".