[Live-devel] Starting Frames are corrupted

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 18 11:02:10 PDT 2014

> A related technical question. Can we split a large Iframe nal frame into slices after the fact? Sometimes the encoder is a closed piece of hardware/firmware. Is it possible to split it into slices at a macroblock boundary?

I suppose it might be technically possible, but it would require (at least partially) decoding the NAL unit, then reencoding the new slice NAL units.

An encoder might be a piece of hardware, but YOU HAVE PAID MONEY FOR IT.  Therefore the encoder's manufacturer must surely be sensitive to feedback/criticism?!

I find it baffling (and, quite frankly, rather insulting) that people repeatedly refuse to contact the manufacturer of hardware that THEY HAVE PAID FOR (whether it be an encoder, or a set-top box) asking them to fix problems, but instead insist that all of these problems be (somehow, magically) worked around in the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software - software that they HAVE PAID NOTHING FOR!