[Live-devel] proxy server timing issues

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 25 16:11:02 PDT 2014

> I am streaming a video only back end live rtsp stream (H264 + RTP) to the proxy server.
>
> When I kill all clients that are connected to my live555 proxy server and restart them I notice that the clients (VLC for eg.) start at a video position where the displayed video is 1 minute or older. The longer I wait the more severe this problem gets. When I leave one client always connected and kill other clients and restart them there are no issues.

When all of the front-end clients of the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" have disconnected, then the proxy server will send a RTSP "PAUSE" command to the back-end server.  Then later, when the next front-end client connects, it will send a RTSP "PLAY" command to the back-end server.

(You can see this by running the proxy server with the "-V" option; see http://www.live555.com/proxyServer/ )

If the 'back-end' server implements the "PAUSE" command, then this means that there will be no gap in the media between the last front-end client disconnecting, and the next front-end client connecting.  However, if the back-end server does not implement "PAUSE" (which it typically won't, if it's a live network camera, for example), then of course you'll see a gap in time.