[Live-devel] testRTSPClient - can't find a port not in use

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 4 13:51:49 PST 2014

> Thanks for the help.  I was able to use setClientPortNum() inside setupNextSubsession() to specify which port for it to use so it didn’t auto-search.  Oddly enough, any even port between 65408 – 65518 seems to work.  That was just the range I tested, it probably works outside of that as well.  With that change, things work great!

Nonetheless, something must be broken in your system if the normal ephemeral port number selection code (the "while" loop starting at line 726 of "MediaSession.cpp") is not working for you.  Nobody else has had any problem with this.  I suggest that you figure out what's wrong with your system, rather than just 'papering over it' like this.

>  As a follow-on question, is there a way to use the Live555 library to MUX in a custom data structure into the audio & video stream that I’m getting via RTSP?

Are you still talking about a RTSP *client*, receiving from an existing RTSP server?  If so, then please post an example of the SDP description that the RTSP client reports (you can use "testRTSPClient" or "openRTSP" to get this; it'll be the text returned by the RTSP "DESCRIBE" command).

Or are you talking about developing your own RTSP *server*, and want to know how to add your own new media data (in addition to an audio and video track) to the stream transmitted by the server?  If so, then you'll need to explain a lot more about what kind of media this is.  (Is this data time-based?  If not, then it probably doesn't make sense to stream it via RTSP/RTP?)