[Live-devel] testRTSPClient - can't find a port not in

Rob Coker rcoker at pythagdev.com
Wed Mar 5 09:07:44 PST 2014

>>  As a follow-on question, is there a way to use the Live555 library to
MUX in
>> a custom data structure into the audio & video stream that I?m getting
via
>> RTSP?

> Are you still talking about a RTSP *client*, receiving from an existing
RTSP
> server?  If so, then please post an example of the SDP description that
the
> RTSP client reports (you can use "testRTSPClient" or "openRTSP" to get
this;
> it'll be the text returned by the RTSP "DESCRIBE" command).

> Or are you talking about developing your own RTSP *server*, and want to
know
> how to add your own new media data (in addition to an audio and video
track)
> to the stream transmitted by the server?  If so, then you'll need to
explain a
> lot more about what kind of media this is.  (Is this data time-based?  If
not,
> then it probably doesn't make sense to stream it via RTSP/RTP?)

The idea was that my program would be a "client," receiving from an existing
RTSP server (namely an h264 video camera that support RTSP) and I would be
saving the data from the streams coming in on the camera.  So far, there's
nothing new here.  There is a Live 555 test program that will do all that.
The unique thing is that the client gets other real-time data (has nothing
to do with RTSP) that we would like to MUX in with the audio and video
streams from the video camera as we save the file.  This isn't exactly our
example, but say you were videoing an experiment in a lab and wanted to
insert the temperature and barometric pressure in the same file as the video
and then planned to write a custom app that would display the video with a
side bar showing temp and pressure.  All the data (the video, barometric
pressure and temp) would be in the same file and would be time aligned.
Something like that is the goal.  I don't have a camera right now, so can't
get you the DESCRIBE response, but I'm not sure that it's relevant.  AFAICT,
the real issue is how to MUX in a custom stream to other existing streams
when saving a file.

As I re-read your response, the server example is something like what we're
trying to do, but writing to a file.  So, yes, we have our own time-based
data (let's just pretend it's temp and baro pressure), we want to stream it
along with the incoming video and audio streams to a file.

Hope this helps explain the problem a little better.

Thanks,
Rob