[Live-devel] FYI: The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software now supports streaming/receiving several 'Xiph.org' codecs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Mar 16 01:18:33 PDT 2014

FYI, as of the current release (2014.03.16), the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software supports several 'Xiph.org' (and related unencumbered) audio and video codecs.  (Just to be clear, our software doesn't include any codec (encoding or decoding) functionality of its own, but it can be used in combination with third-party codec libraries.)

In particular:
- We now support streaming (transmitting and/or receiving) RTSP/RTP streams containing any of the following 'Xiph.org' (and related) codecs:
	Audio:	Vorbis, Speex, Opus
	Video:	Theora, VP8.  (VP9 is not yet supported, because its RTP payload format has not yet been defined.)
- Our RTSP server implementation (including the "LIVE555 Media Server" product) can now demultiplex and stream from an 'Ogg'-format file (with filename extension ".ogg", ".opus", or ".ogv").  It can also demultiplex and stream Vorbis, Theora, Opus, or VP8 streams from Matroska (".mkv" or ".webm") files.  (This is in addition to the many other codecs - including AAC, AC3, H.264 and H.265 - that we have been able to demlutiplex and stream from Matroska files for some time.)
- We now have a new 'sink' class "OggFileSink" for writing a (single) incoming Vorbis, Theora, or Opus stream into a corresponding 'Ogg'-format file that can be played by a media player.  (Our "openRTSP" client application automatically uses this class when receiving such streams via RTSP/RTP.)