[Live-devel] Compilation error -- NetCommon.h: No such file or directory

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Mar 16 13:10:37 PDT 2014

> I have done the basic installation of live555 for Linux, via:
>
> ./genMakefiles linux
> make
> make install
>
> which compiles the library and puts the resulting files in /usr/local/include, lib, and bin. I can't seem to get a basic program working, though, due to improperly referenced header files in the code.
>
> (compiler output)
>
> [root at apollo streamtest]# g++ streamtest.cpp
> In file included from streamtest.cpp:1:0:
> /usr/local/include/UsageEnvironment/UsageEnvironment.hh:28:23: fatal error: NetCommon.h: No such file or directory
>  #include "NetCommon.h"
>
> What is the best way to resolve this?

Your problem is simply that you're not including the include path for the LIVE555 header files in your compilation line.  Most people build applications using the "make" command, rather than directly invoking the compiling/linking tools from the command line.  Look at how the "Makefile" in the "testProgs" directory works.  You'll want to do something similar.